Looking for a last minute gift to give the grandparents this Christmas? These Christmas DIY Mugs are a super simple craft that only take about 30 minutes to create – they are adorable, useful, and simply perfect for the loved ones in your life!
Use the dollar store to find cheap white mugs…No need to spend more than one or two dollars a piece.
Wash and rub with isopropyl alcohol, peel off all store tags and stickers
Stickers: Take some contact paper and trace out holiday art (think trees, santa, deer, stockings, or candy canes). Cut out the stickers and place them on your mug. We also cut out rectangle stickers so we would have a blank area to place name-tags on the mugs later.
Attention Kids! Now it’s your turn to take some sharpie markers and color away! If you can trace around the stickers go ahead and do it for a cleaner look. If you need help with this part, ask an adult!
Be sure to let the ink dry before peeling the stickers away. Clean up any areas with a Q-tip and isopropyl alcohol. For an added touch of flair, decorate the inside of your stencil art with polka dots, stripes, and stars!
Put mugs in a cold oven, heat to 350° for 30 minutes, turn off oven and allow to cool, remove mugs from oven once cold. You can always bake twice to make the ink really stick!
Hand wash and avoid microwaving.
- Putting your stickers too close together may cause marker bleeding – if using contact paper, there shouldn’t be an issue
- Contact paper is your best bet for getting crisp designs. If using store bought stickers, use plastic coated/cardstock stickers (the thicker kind) rather than using a paper coated sticker with a glossy finish (they tend to bleed)
- Metallic Sharpie brand markers take a lot of coats to color or write with and even then they are still streaky. Try an oil marker instead.
- Metallic Sharpie brand markers do work really well for polka-dotting!
- If using colored permanent markers, be sure to test them in the oven before using on your project. Sometimes the colors change..
These are simple, cheap, and personal enough to gift someone you’re just meeting, a loved one, or someone hosting a party! Make your gift extra special by giving a gift basket with some hot cocoa and peppermint sticks. Merry Christmas, friends!